Monday 22 October 2012

Literacy Groups

Literacy groups are one of my favourite activities to do with my class. I test children regularly on their reading using running records (which test both word recognition and comprehension) and then put them into like ability groups.

We have literacy groups 3 times a week and students read a book together and then finish with an activity. I thought I would post about the activity one group completed today as it was a bit of an 'a-ha' moment for a girl in my class. She is Korean and is only just learning how to speak English, she really enjoyed the activity below though as she could use prompts from her book but produce work at a similar level as the other students. Basically they have to use the lego letters to make words from their books setting them out like they are an on an imaginary crossword.

Here is a snapshot of her 'imaginary crossword' word work!


No comments:

Post a Comment